Moon-Glo Lighting


For some time, I have been drooling over the idea of having moon-glo lighting.  It provides a cool lunar look and extends the viewing hours.  Since I am happy with my low-end lighting system and don't want to invest a lot of time and money in a new system, I decided to try a do-it-yourself hack.  My local automotive store had a blue LED strip for about $14.  It has 8 LEDs and runs off of 12 volts DC.  I mounted the lights on a narrow strip of plexiglass that fits under my light hood.  I connected the lights to a power brick that I made from spare parts and a Radio Shack project box.  When I powered them on, they produced a lot of light.  It makes the tank look great when I run them with my daylight bulbs, and even creates a small shimmer.  I have the lights on timers so that I get an hour of "moonlight" after the daylight bulbs turn off.  It adds a really nice effect...


No comments:

Post a Comment